Pilot Freight Services is a full-service global transportation and logistics company. Serving as the content delivery system for Pilot’s 2013 multiday annual meet up and award ceremony, we created an immersive projection mapping installation. The scope of the project required us to design the set, animations, and video mapping system. All video was captured live in the venue. No postproduction compositing is used.
Utilizing the most basic unit of Pilot’s business, shipping crates, we designed a 76 foot set to be flexible for an array of live and preproduced content. The set—a canvas for illusion—occasionally appeared as the shipping crates it was, but more often appeared as a constant changing scenery. A 3d file of the set design was provided to the fabrication team, who built the set to an eighth inch accuracy.
The content creation deliverables included opening/closing sequences, company history overview, and ambient/environmental sequences. Air, ocean and ground, Pilot’s three modes of transportation, were represented throughout all content. We designed a transit line system to correlate with each transportation mode.
After Effects rendered the content with a baked in map mesh into Dataton WATCHOUT friendly files. WATCHOUT was used as a multi headed playback system to serve up preprogramed timeline content, and to ensure there would be no dropped frames on our 9,600 wide pixel canvas. WATCHOUT also reserves the flexibility to make post render tweaks to our mapping. Arriving on location, Atlantic City’s Borgata, we had 48 hours to calibrate the 5 HD projectors, map the set and prepare for showtime.
- Client: Pilot Freight Services
- Creative Director: Dejha Ti
- Video Mapping Engineer: Peter Brodhead
- Onsite Mapping and Watchout Operator: Peter Brodhead, Dejha Ti
- Designers: Dejha Ti, Sean Martorana
- Animators: Ted Devlin, Peter Parker Brodhead
- Composer & Sound Design: Tim Motzer, 1k Recordings
- Fabricators: Event Central
- Production Company: Eventions LLC
- Soundtrack: Tim Motzer, 'Jet lag' from Fractured Reverb Underground